Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The first entry and how it all started

Yippee.. Finally got the site up and running. I have been wanting to do this blog for sometime but always get delayed and 'procrastinated'. Maybe the freak rain that hit me today have anything to do with it?

Not just that but I also managed to get the progress bar up and running after fiddling with it for the past 1.5 hours. I won't say I am done with the setup but I will do more when inspiration strikes..

How it all began

Anyway this is a story on how it all began.. It started before Mother's day 2003. I had been pondering and thinking of what to give her and also pondering of the thought of learning to knit especialy after I see a girl on bus doing that. She looked stylish, not somekind of old-auntie, slim and attractive.

Anyway, an ex-colleague told me to go to Chinatown to have a look at Golden Dragon Store (a must-visit if you drop by to Singapore, they are the 'it' shop for needlecrafts, beading/jewellery making,etc etc). The only thing I don't like was that the ladies there are middle-aged and above, and all looked so strict and all spoke in Mandarin or Hokkien(dialect)

I walked around, and for some reason, I found myself at Handicraft Center at Chinatown Point, just across the bridge from Golden Dragon. I walked around to survey the place and found out there is only 1 shop that fit what I want.. I see a couple of ladies there sitting down and knitting and chatting. My feet dragged me in and that was the beginning of how I met Veronica.

I told her I wanted to learn to knit to make something for Mother's day, which was only 11 days away. She recommended to knit a scarf /shawl and there and then I began my first lesson. Veron was very patient with me and together with her "army" of disciples, she begin to teach me.
I couldn't control my tension at first and I managed to break a bulky wool yarn. She was so amazed at me..ahahaha (at that point I wanted to give up and cry out of frustration). But I managed to get thru it.

What happened to the gift? Well, I managed to finish it on time, I think.. I knitted day and night, even on dates. However, I am just wondering what had become of it though. It was a winter type of shawl which is definitely out of place for Singapore.
Oh well..

No comments: